the gregarious homebody


Friday, December 24, 2010

A Very Jewish Christmas

I have always loved Christmas.  When I was a kid I celebrated it the way a lot of people do--not religiously but in a steeped-in-tradition way.  When I converted to Judaism, I only celebrated it with my parents, not in my own home. I cried for about 3 years in a row, driving home to my apartment I shared with HH that did not have a Christmas tree.  It was a huge transition for me and really, the only real one when I converted, this not celebrating Christmas in my own home. But I felt it was right one.  If I was going to embrace Judaism I was going to have to give up those old traditions and make my own new Jewish ones.
Chinese, Japanese, whatever.  It's not a baked ham.  Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Fast forward to now: I still love Christmas.  I love the tiny (and not so tiny) lights on the trees.  I love the giving.  I love the food.  And we have our own traditions. We always see a movie.    In the past we've gone to the movies with our non-Jewish friends who also see a movie every Christmas eve.  We often have Chinese food (like every other American Jew in the world)
No teenagers were forced into having their picture taken here. This time.
Most of all what I love about Christmas is being together with my kids and HH in our undecorated Jewish house.  The best part is the being together with my little family part.  The kids literally have NOWHERE ELSE TO GO.  
This man would trade all this togetherness for more sushi.
Who needs caroling when you can eat chocolate mochi and play Boggle?
 It's a forced togetherness but I'll take what I can get.

1 comment:

adozeneggs said...

I can understand you missing some of the Christmas traditions. I'm crazy for my tree. Literally, CRAZY. No one else can touch it, or hang any decorations on it. I'd miss it terribly. You know i don't get into any of the religious aspects of Christmas,mostly the same stuff that you enjoy, the giving, the food the togetherness. (although I only like being "together" with my HH, dogs and cats) I can't seem to get enough of my HH. Hope you have a wonderful day of togetherness today!!
xoxo
L
kisses to the doggies and kitties!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails