I know the traditional time to count one's blessings is Thanksgiving and I like Thanksgiving because of that (and the pie), but I think the end of the year is a good time too. And a weird side effect of running for me is that, even though I hate almost every second of the actual running, I also think lots of happy thoughts while I'm doing it. Weird.
So anyway, these are some of the things I was thinking this week while my thighs were threatening to burn a hole in my under armour pants and my chest was heaving (and not in a good way):
Now, since blogger is taking an irritatingly long time loading pictures,
here's a probably-incomplete list of other things I feel grateful for,
in no certain order.
1.Netflix --I know this is shallow and materialistic, but it represents HH having a JOB. And there are few things that give me a day-to-day thrill as seeing one of those red envelopes in my mailbox. Will it be a French film I can't get at Blockbuster? Will it be another Buffy episode???
2. Movies--See above. I luuurve movies. I love being transported. And I have no snobbery. I enjoy a good zombie movie as much as a documentary (who am I kidding? maybe more).
3. An occasional rainy day off in which I feel no guilt about lying around reading a book.
4. School--I love it. Even the homework. I know it's sadly cliche of me as a "nontraditional student." But it just feels good to be where I am right now and I can't believe I've done it.
5. My home--Even though it doesn't measure up in the decorating department to some of the homes I see on all the blogs I follow, it is cozy and very "me." I like my stuff. I like to be here. In fact, I'd rather be here than most places. How lucky is that?
6. The furry children--I just threw up in my mouth a little, writing that. I am NOT one of those people who sees her pets as furry people. A dog is a DOG. BUT, how great is that I can leave a room for 5 minutes and be greeted when I go back in like I've been gone FOR YEARS, over and over again? They're dim but so lovable and they never tell me I'm UNFAIR or ask anything of me but the occasional rub between the ears. Nice.
7. The nephews--I don't see them enough but when I do, they make up for it.
8. Food in the fridge and the time to make it for my family. I know it sounds trite, but I get such a great feeling from baking my own bread or making homemade soup or something else homey for my family. It gives me a ridiculous amount of pleasure when I can take my time doing it.
9. Flannel sheets-- I love bed.
10. Memories--Some of them are pretty sucky, but the ones that aren't are so wonderful.