the gregarious homebody


Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Recipe (sort of)

So I'm doing this cleanse thing and I'm really wanting a bowl of cereal (and not some rice thing...we have Life in the house! Yum!) so I thought I'd go to my beloved standby, oatmeal. I could eat oatmeal every day, twice a day, but I always make it with a half-milk, half-water mixture and I always add more milk and brown sugar when it's done. The idea of oatmeal with no sugar does not appeal and I was sure I would miss the creaminess of the milk.

WRONG!

I substituted Silk soy creamer (and don't tell me there's some residual sweetener in there. I KNOW, but it's residual, NOT substantial, okay?) for the milk and didn't add any after it was cooked. AND since I couldn't dump my usual huge amount of brown sugar on it, I added a chopped apple and a good dose of cinnamon. AND IT WAS DELICIOUS! Making it in the microwave was new too because I love the thick texture I get cooking it on the stove. In the microwave the oats were perfectly cooked but it was soupier than usual, which helped because I didn't want to add any cold creamer (yuck!) after it was cooked.

Right now, right after eating it, I feel satisfied but not too full. But I'm wondering if I'll get the "pancake shakes" an hour from now. My mom and I could never eat pancakes or oatmeal without some kind of big protein or we would feel shaky and weird later (not that something like that would've stopped us if no protein was around!). Since I'm sure the "shakes" had to do with the amount of sugar involved in eating both items, I wonder if it won't happen since I didn't add any real amount of sugar.

So, if I haven't totally lost you by now, and if you have some kind of lactose or sugar issue, here's the recipe:

No -Animal- or Sugar Cane -was -Harmed Oatmeal for One
1/2 cup old fashioned oats
1/2 cup water
1/2 Silk soy creamer
2 pinches kosher salt

Combine in a microwave safe bowl (make sure it's on the big size so there's no ooze-over). Cook on 50% power, for 2 minutes. Take out of oven.
Add:
1 apple, diced (I left the peel on)
2 good dashes cinnamon

Put back in micro and cook for 2-3 minutes again on 50% power. Stir and eat (will be very hot!)


**Addendum: I got the pancake shakes anyway about an hour later. Maybe it's not the amount of sugar I usually put on it but the lack of protein thing. Any ideas? Fakin' Bacon does not appeal to me. Shocking!

***P.P.S. I had a good Cleanse Day and then watched my kids dish out some homemade Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream for themselves to eat while watching Harry Potter. WHY did I make this ice cream THIS WEEK? Well, yes, I had a very small bowl, but I ate it "consciously." Does that count??

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails