the gregarious homebody


Wednesday, April 2, 2008

I'd Like to Eat Here Too

Nothing says fun at the end of a day spent cooking two meals for 51 sorority girls like coming home and cooking again for my family. The fact is, I spend much more time "heating up" than cooking for them. I feel bad about that sometimes. "Somtimes" because there are instances I can recall when I've come home and made a *real* meal for them only to be met with lovely comments such as "WHAT is THAT?" or "Can I just have fish sticks?" The truth is that it's actually easier to cook for my "girls" than it is for my kids because I never hear the first question asked in the same way. It's usually more like "Ooooh! What's that??" because they've never had, say, Ratatouille or Balsamic-Glazed Scallops before.

I've gotten smarter as of late, though. I either take the raw ingredients with me to work for my family's dinner and cook it while I'm working, or I bring home leftovers from the previous night's meal (if there is any). Here's the recipe for a dish I wish had been leftover to bring home. Even though I'm probably better off serving fish sticks tonight anyway.

Thai Cilantro and Lime Chicken

2 chicken breasts

2 tablespoons lime juice (bottled is fine)
1 tablespoon chili paste
1 tablespoon sugar
Salt and pepper to taste

*Chopped fresh cilantro

Poach or steam chicken breasts until done, reserving some of the poaching liquid. Set aside chicken to cool slightly.

Meanwhile, combine lime juice, chili paste and sugar, ,whisking to dissolve sugar.

Shred chicken when it's cool enough to handle and dump into the lime juice mixture. Seasont to taste with salt and pepper and toss with fresh cilantro.

* do NOT substitute parsley if you don't like cilantro. It wouldn't be Thai Cilantro and Lime Chicken then, would it, genius?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails